Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Proper Steps

I only do this until I get dizzy

& then I lay down on my back

& watch the clouds,

she said.

It sounds simple

but you won't believe

how many people forget the second part.

~StoryPeople (Proper Steps)

I sat there watching her get frustrated. The computer was running too slow and won’t do what she needed it to. It was a struggle I had watched several times in the past. Then I asked what seemed to be the obvious question “Have you tried shutting down the computer lately?” and the response came “I don’t like shutting things down.” With that comment, I started to laugh. Not because of any humor in the actually statement, but more because of the irony in the situation.

At the time, both the person uttering these comments and myself had been sick off and on for a period of time and where not running at full capacity. Much like the computers that were not running at full capacity because we had not recently shut down.

Having been in Jersey for almost three months, things have been a bit crazy and a bit draining at times. Working with kids every day, forming a new living community and learning the layout of a new area has meant a lot of time getting dizzy and less time laying down and watching the clouds.

In the past month I have had two fantastic opportunities to watch the clouds. The first was hanging out at Camp Carol Joy Holling in NE for the CSLYOPs conference.

The second was this past weekend we had a retreat as an intern group at Bradley Beach. It was an opportunity for the 8 of us to be in a place together for an extended period of time. We got the chance to run around the beach, play sports, sing songs, and in many ways simply be with one another. It was simply a beautiful place and a fantastic time. A great chance to take the proper steps-lay down and watch the clouds.

If you would like to pictures of our beach adventures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2074671&id=59203733&l=3780a79154

No comments:

Post a Comment