Sunday, November 7, 2010

For the beauty of this Earth

T­he feel of the crisp autumn air. The color of leaves turning for the fall season. The still silence interrupt by the chorus of birds and falling leaves. The feel of the cold earth under my bare feet. Indeed, Camp Carol Joy Holling in Nebraska is a beautiful place.

While most people in the New York City area where getting ready for the Halloween Festivities, I was heading to Nebraska to meet up with Pr. Amy Zalk-Larson and Aaidha Majdhy to do a presentation on Religious Pluralism and Compassionate Listening and Responding for the Council of Synod Lutheran Youth Organization Presidents. From Thursday, October 28th until Sunday October 31st, I had the opportunity to hang out with the awesome youth leaders of the ELCA and their chaperones, plus a fantastic worship band and the other wonderful presenters.

Pr. Amy, Aaidha and I did our presentation twice on Friday for a grand total of almost forty people (just about 20 in each session). During our time, it was great to get a chance to see the young adults of today’s church find a way to step outside themselves and work to expand their horizons. They were willing to sit and learn about a counter-cultural way of being in conversation with another that involves deeply listening and asking open honest questions.

On Friday afternoon, I got to participate in their high ropes course, which was a great chance to push myself outside of my comfort zone in yet another way.

Saturday all 7 of the presenters sat on a panel together to answer any questions that the participants may have. There were a lot of fantastic questions and it led to a very emotional panel with lots of shared tears and laughter.

After the panel on Saturday, we enjoyed another fantastic meal and browsed through the gift shop. As I browsed I had made mention of wanting one of the Lutheran Chick mugs but bemoaned the fact that I did not have any cash. While saying good-bye to Aaidhya and Pr. Amy, who had to return to Luther, the bass from the worship band wandered by and handed me a bag from the gift shop. He had purchased the mug for me and offered it to me as a gift.

Aside from being a huge honor to be a part of, the weekend was also a fantastic time for me to disconnect from my world of technology and instant access to all and reconnect with a dear friend, make new friends and simply breath. During the time I was there, I experience amazingly beautiful hospitality and genuine warmth.

Sunday morning before I had to leave, I got up to watch the sunrise at Inspiration Point. It was truly a beautiful inspiration and reminder of the beauty of creation.

2 comments:

  1. You were at Camp Carol Joy Holling?! I've gone there for Chamber Singers retreats! It's just north of Lincoln (near Ashland). ALMA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you.

    coincidentally, the only building at rtlc that's not named after a plant/flower is holling lodge (named after carol joy holling) because her family gave lots of money after she died because they believe so strongly in the importance of camps and such.

    ReplyDelete