Sunday, September 12, 2010

Summer Blog

How was your summer?

What exactly was your job?

What did you do this summer?

These questions are challenging to answer, to say the least. If you are looking for a short answer, my summer was great! My job was do to interfaith programming. This summer I did a lot of random things and I had a lot of fun.

Yet these answers do not seem sufficient. My summer was challenging, comforting, draining, revitalizing, strange, familiar, growth provoking, soul searching, live giving, joy providing, intense, relaxing, and so much more that I can’t put in to words. In some ways, it was essentially Lutheran in all the paradoxes it offered.

It is still challenging to put into words what my job was. Yes, I was responsible for doing interfaith programming for young adults, but it was also much more than that. I was responsible for being present with people. To hear their stories, to share mine, to answer questions, in many ways to simply BE. I didn’t have a daily routine and I certainly didn’t have a 9-5 job but there was always plenty to do, never a dull moment.

As for what I did this summer, there was so much. And unfortunately, because I was remiss in my blogging this summer, I don’t have the space to share all of my adventures but the following is a good summary of all that I did and learned.

*Got Alan Alda’s autograph

* Meet people I admire like Jim Wallis, Otis Moss, Daisy Khan, Imam Feisal, Karen Armstrong, and so many many more

*Meet more people to continue to admire

*Learned that I will forever be able to find a home at the pool and a family among the regular swimmers

* Discovered the value of forming new friendships and the importance of maintaining distance ones

*Made new friends who have changed me for the better and will be lifelong friends

*Participated in the serving of the Eucharist to a congregation of 4,000

*Was challenged to continue to grow in my faith

*Heard a lot of fantastic lectures

*Heard some not so fantastic lectures

*Saw amazing symphony concerts, ballet performances and opera showcases

*Played epic games of UNO and Pit

*Helped organize and host the first Abrahamic Program for Young Adults Iftar meal for the breaking of the fast during Ramadan

*Learned the importance of speaking out and standing up

*Helped plan an interfaith worship service and delivered a 4 minute message to the congregation of over 2,000.

* Learned the power of small actions

* Experienced genuine hospitality and genuine hostility

*Saw Gretchen Wilson, Clay Aiken/Rubben Studdard, Jersey Boys, Oakridge Boys and the ABBA tribute band in concert

*Discovered the amazing-ness of Andriaccio’s white sauce pizza

*Ate a lot of and got sick of Andriaccio’s white sauce pizza

*Made a community for myself

*Ate more walmart frosted cookies than should be allowed

*Gave up pop, soda, coke-or whatever you call that carbonated beverage

*Continued to discover the power of my own story

*Stood in awe of the stories of those who I encountered

*Learned to drive a golf cart

*Struggled, laughed, cried, argued, debated, learned and played

Overall, the summer was simply amazing. It was an unique experience that I will never be able to re-create, nor do I want to try but rather to create a continuation. It was a joy and an honor to be a part of the Chautauqua community and to be accepted as I was. I formed relationships that I will treasure forever. Chautauqua will always hold a dear place in my heart as home.

No comments:

Post a Comment