Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fire! Nope, never mind-just a malfunctioning smoke dector

The gut-retching sound pierced the air of our house, resembling a squawking and squeeling siren. As I gathered my wits about me, I realized that the sound was our lovely smoke detector. Out of sheer habitat, I grabbed keys, shoes and phone running to check the alarm to attempt to shut it off before running outside.

At this point there are two facts that will help explain this story. The first is that I currently live about a block from a hospital. The second is that our house is technically a part of the hospital’s property. This also means that our alarm is routed through the hospital.

So as the loud squawking siren is continuing to blare in our house, I run to the hospital to let them know our alarm is going off. One of the security guys comes back over with me, while radioing to his counterparts in the hospital. He goes running into the house. Shortly after, we hear sirens coming towards our house five fire trucks worth of sirens. Turns out those sirens for us.

Except rather than coming to our house, the trucks headed directly for the hospital. Security headed out to sort that out. Mind you, we now have our fire alarm and the fire trucks siren going off in a seeming competition to be the loudest.

Once the firemen figured out where they actually need to be, 4 of the 5 trucks headed home and the three in the other truck jumped out in full gear to investigate our clearly not on fire house.

Once they cleared there were some questions about what we had been doing prior to the alarm going off. There seemed to be no good reason for it to go off and everything was ok.

So everybody headed their separate ways and my roomies and I headed into the house to go to sleep. And that was our adventures of Tuesday night.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm glad y'all are okay! The fire alarm went off in one of the dorms on campus ... a couple hundred sleepy girls stumbled outside at 6:30 am in the rain. Classic.

    ReplyDelete