Thursday, September 16, 2010

Everything's Changing

Just because every thing's changing

Doesn't mean it's never been this way before

All you can do is try to know

Who your friends are as you head off to the war

Pick a star on the dark horizon

And follow the light

~The Call (Regina Spektor)

As I sat in my new office, listening to my Regina Spektor/Ingrid Michaelson playlist, I heard these lyrics in a way that I never had before. The year has been a year of everything changing. Since January of this month I have called 5 different zipcodes home-Cresco(52316), Decorah(52101), Chicago(60615), Chautauqua(14722) and finally Jersey City(07360) This has meant 5 different roommates, 5 different bosses, 5 different eating situations, 5 different grocery stores, 5 different dress codes, 5 different faith communities and so on.

Yet, as I find everything changing, I find that things have been this way before. This is not to say that this has been an easy process, these 8 months of change have been challenging and tiring. There are days where I struggle to remember where I am, what I am doing and which organization I am working for.

However, in all of this, I am learning to find consistency in change, order in the chaos, stability in fluidity and comfort in the unknown. I find comfort in knowing that I have successfully navigate all of these changes before. Despite, some of my frustrations at the beginnings of each of these transitions, I have found a home in each one of these places and a community to love and to hold dear.

In that, I trust that while everything is changing, it has been this way before and I will find my place in this new community. I will find home and community here that I will love as much as the previous 4 homes. In this process, I will create many new memories that, when it comes time to transition again, will make it hard to leave.

Watch all of The Call here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpfTfixjk4A

No comments:

Post a Comment