Thursday, March 1, 2012

Story Worthy Week



I like to write about the stuff going on in my life as long as it's interesting, but otherwise, I'd rather just read.
~StoryPeople

It’s true.  I do like to write and sometimes I like to share what I write on my blog.  Writing is a great way for me to reflect on my experiences and many times to gain a better understanding of the things I am witnessing.  As I was talking to one of my dear friends who is now teaching English in Indonesia and also attempting to keep a blog, she said that the one thing she like about keeping a blog was that it was “like a public, well-edited journal.”  It provides a way for me to chronicle what is happening in my life so I can go back and remember it later. Because my blog is public, it has the added benefit of allowing me to also share these experiences and reflections.

Yet, all of this only seems relevant when my life is “exciting” and “interesting.”  While I am spending the year living in a foreign country,  life has become “normal” here.  I go to work, I buy groceries, I do my laundry.  It is all the same stuff I did while I was living in the States, except now I am doing it in Palestine and sometimes in Arabic rather than English.   When life no longer seems “interesting,”  I would rather just read about the interesting things happening in other people’s lives. 

While I was living in New Jersey one of my roommates introduced me to “The MOTH” podcasts.   Each week, they release a podcast of one of the participants from one of “The MOTH” story slams, telling a story from the life based on the events theme. At the end of each podcast the host closes with the same tagline:

“Thanks to all of you for listening, and we hope you have a story-worthy week”

And every week, I listen and I think “I hope something exciting happens this week so I can have a story-worthy week.”  Then one week as I was listening to the podcast, I realized that these stories are sometimes about exciting and grand adventures, but usually they are people telling stories about their every day lives from raising children to taking an art class to falling in love to failing relationships.  These people are generally average people who simply believe that they have a story worth sharing and then get up and share it.

As I thought about this, I realized that each week is a story worthy week, in fact if I am willing to keep my eyes open and look for the story each day is a story worthy day.   Whether the story be about some exciting adventure or about something cute one of my kids did or overcoming a particular challenge.  

May you each have a story-worthy week and may you have somebody or someway to share that story, because it is worth sharing.  

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on achieving "normal"! (i know, it's more complicated than that) it was a weird feeling to me when i realized that life was "normal" and not "new" or "exciting," so i'm glad you've achieved that :)

    ReplyDelete