Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Years that ask questions

Just before I left for Chicago, a dear friend gave me a box of quotes, pictures and fun facts, one for each day of the upcoming year. The other day my fun fact was that “the average 4 year old asks over 400 questions a day.”

After working with the Kindergarten class, I would believe it. The kids are super adorable

and full of curiosity. Now most of the time I don’t actually understand what questions are being asked, as they are usually in Arabic. Ok, they are always in Arabic. Sometimes I can figure out what the questions are, but usually not, so most of the time a question or statement is jabbered at me, a confused look passes over my face and the child scampers off to continue whatever they were doing.

This whole process can be pretty frustrating. The not being able to understand or respond or even communicate basic requests is challenging. But the beautiful thing is that it has taught me the universal language of high 5s, smiles and goofy faces. On these days it is amazing to simply be surrounded by the easy joy and amazement of children.

Yet, many times I end up feeling like the four-year old asking 400 hundred questions: “Shu hada?” (“What’s this?”). Shu ismek/ismak? (What’s your name (m/f)?). My questions are usually answered with a following response of laughter, rolled eyes and as much frustration and indignation as a 5-6 year old can muster when I totally butcher the pronunciation of the word they have told me.

But the questions continue outside of school as well as I continue to try to navigate around. Questions about where things are, questions about what things mean, questions about the culture, questions of how things work, questions of who people are and so on and so forth.

While sometimes all of these questions are frustrating and I am often left with more questions than answers, there is a great joy in learning again to look with the inquisitive eyes of a 4 year old. To question everything around me and find joy in discovering an answer.

I leave you with a quote that accurately describes this year for me, plus some pictures of cute children to make you smile.

There are years that ask questions and years that answer.
~Unknown


1 comment:

  1. Love this post and love you alma :) Thanks for sharing your story in such a fantastic way. Love from the UK :)

    ReplyDelete