Monday, January 9, 2012

Laylat Al-Milad- On Christmas Night



Growing up, I always had a pretty clear picture of what the first Christmas looked like-Mary, dressed in blue, and Joseph have been relegated to the stable by a grouchy inn-keeper who “has no room for them at the inn,” despite the unconventional settings they are warm and comfortable. Together, with looks of love and tenderness, they are kneeling quietly in a pristine stable (ok, so this was usually a big red barn), bright shining star above indicating that this is THE stable where baby Jesus lying in a manager full of hay surrounded by sheep, cows, donkeys serenely watching over him as he slept. 

Ok, so my visions of this scene look identical to the nativity set that I grew up with and are incredibly influenced by my growing up in Northeast Iowa. However, having had the chance to spend the past four months getting to know Bethlehem, and then to celebrate Christmas in Bethlehem, my vision of the nativity is changing.  I am beginning to realize there aren’t a lot of barns in the area, much less any giant red barns.  I am reminded when I see the shepherds with there sheep that animals are rarely quiet or clean (one would think I would know this, I mean I grew up in rural Iowa…).   I am reminded teach time night falls here, that even if the days are semi-warm, it is anything but warm here without the sun and some nights it can be absolutely freezing.

However, perhaps the biggest change I am beginning to see is in the way I visualized the innkeeper.  No longer is this man a gruff man firmly refusing to give shelter to a very weary and pregnant Mary because he couldn’t, or wouldn’t, make room for them who at the last minute takes pity on them and offers them the bare minimum.   As I encounter the people of Bethlehem and the surrounding area, I begin to understand this as an incredible act of hospitality. 

On Christmas Eve, I listened to Pastor Fred Strickert speak about the culture of hospitality here saying:

But these are not merely nostalgic episodes of what might have been, but testimonies of faith and hope.  People came to Bethlehem, because they knew that Bethlehemites would take them in…What else would one expect when hospitality reigns chief among virtues?  What else would one expect from people whose first words that role off their lips are Ahlan wa-sahlan? (side note: Ahlan Wa-Sahlan essentially means “welcome, feel at home" see blog here.) They would not think of turning away Joseph and his pregnant wife.  That was not the culture of Bethlehem.  They would find a place for them, even if it was in the cave below the house.

This hospitality isn’t something of the distant past either.  It showing up in my every day life.  It shows up in the pastor of my church always asking if I have been able to talk to my family and inquiring about their well-being.  It shows up in the teachers at my school calling to make sure I would not be lonely over the Christmas Break.  It shows up in being taken is as an “eighth daughter”  twenty minutes after meeting a neighbor woman.  

In the past Christmas has always been a time of gathering with family and friends.  Of being surrounded with the chaos of all the familiar celebrations, gift exchanges and carol sings.  This year, as I celebrated Christmas far from home, just as I began to picture the nativity in a new way, I also  began to understand Christmas in new way- as a time of hospitality, welcoming in the stranger and being open to the new and unfamiliar.    In concluding his sermon, Pastor Fred reminded us that:

Christmas is not even about safe, romantic, idyllic tales of long ago, but it is about Christ coming into our midst, now, in the present moment. Christmas is about welcoming Jesus into our midst, as we welcome the least among us, as we show hospitality to the stranger, for then we may discover that we have been entertaining angels unawares, or even God’s own son.

I will leave you with one of my new favorite Arabic Christmas carols- Laylat Al-Milad (translation: Christmas Night).  This carol was sung at every celebration I went to, every church service I attended and every gathering I attended:


So this version is a bit more jazzy then the one we normally sang. 

 Translation of the lyrics:



 Chorus:
On Christmas Eve
Hatred is gone
On Christmas Eve
The_ earth blossoms
On Christmas Eve
War is buried
On Christmas Eve
Love grows

Verse 1:
When I kiss my friends with no cheating
It's Christmas
When vengeance withers in my soul
It's Christmas
When indifference is defeated in_ my heart
It's Christmas
When my soul melts in God
It's Christmas
Verse 2:
When we offer water to the thirsty
It's Christmas
When we give a robe of love to the_ naked
It's Christmas
When we dry the tears
It's Christmas
When we spread hope in the hearts
It's Christmas







No comments:

Post a Comment