Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Carried by the wind

If you hold on to the handle, she said, it's easier to maintain the illusion of control. But it's more fun if you just let the wind carry you.(StoryPeople)

The wind has carried me to Jersey CIty, NJ. During the past week, my fellow interns and myself have commented on the fact that we would have never imagined our lives landing in NJ. However, something in each of our lives have brought us to this place.

During the past week, we have had a lot of adventures together and a lot of laughter. It has been great getting to know the 7 other people who will become my NEWARKACTS family during the coming eleven months.

On Saturday we enjoyed a beautiful day the PRIDE festival in Jersey City waterfront. It was definitely an interesting experience. It was a great first larger scaled PRIDE experience.

Most interesting however were the protestors gathered there and the way people responded to them. Some calmly walked by ignoring the protestors condemning the aspect of themselves they had come together to celebrate. Yet, some stood there screaming back things that were equally vicious.

Despite the protestors, we had wonderful time, then came back to our house for some intense games of UNO and Pit.

Sunday morning I went to worship at one at one of the local Lutheran Churches. It was a small congregation that was incredibly welcoming. After worship, I got a chance to talk with the pastor and council president. During this time I got a lot of background information on Hoboken and Jersey City.

When I got home, the boys (Alex and Richard) and I decided to head to the beach for a part of the afternoon. Once again it was absolutely beautiful. Wonderful to feel the sand between my toes, hear the water on the sand and see people relaxing and having fun.

I am excited to continue the adventures for the next year and am gratefully for the wind carrying me to this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment